At Norman-Sims Elementary, students are often recommended to CIS because someone, usually their teacher, recognizes some strength or potential in the student that could be enhanced by participation in one of our programs.
Some of our services include:
- Academic support and tutoringSmall support groups or individual supportive guidance with a social worker or mentor
- A fun place for students to get to know other students in a positive, safe environment
- Resources for the student and family (school supplies, referrals to community resources, etc)
- Enrichment activities such as after school groups
- Grade level transition support
Programs are scheduled during the school day as well as after school. Those programs offered within the regular school day are coordinated with teacher schedules so as to enhance rather than detract from your child’s learning.
If you would like more information or to get in contact with the Communities in Schools staff on campus, please call 512-841-1265 or email Program Manager Emily Brooke at firstname.lastname@example.org. ¡Se habla español!
Communities In Schools of Central Texas surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
Central Texas serves thousands of children and families every year, providing options where there once were none. With your help, Communities In Schools can help kids stay in school and become productive members of the Central Texas workforce and community.
Through campus-based programs and special projects, Communities In Schools creates a network of volunteers, social services, businesses, and community resources that work together to break down barriers and help students succeed. And the formula works: last year, 99% of students served intensively by Communities In Schools stayed in school.